Woman Crush Wednesday: Muva Amber Rose
I have to be honest with all of you. I was way late jumping on the Amber Rose train. My bestie has been #teamMUVA for eons, and I should have listened to her sooner. Because I'm pretty sure Amber might be my spirit animal - only braver (and balder) than I'll ever be.
I first started obsessing over Amber when her talk show "The Amber Rose Show" aired. I'd gotten wind that she was giving sex and relationship advice (which is clearly one of my fave things to do), soI had to check it out for myself.
Less than 2 minutes into the first episode and I was HOOKED.
Seriously. The author of "How to be a Bad Bitch" lives up to the title with her fearless attitude, sharp tongue, and refreshing filter-less honesty. Here are the top FIVE reasons why Amber Rose truly is the baddest bitch in the game:
- She has absolutely NO SHAME in her game! She candidly and unapologetically discusses her sex life, modeling her belief that more people should be comfortable discussing the topic. Amen, Amber!
- She's reframing labels like slut, hoe, and whore that have traditionally been used to demean women for being sexual. She regularly refers to herself as being a hoe, and encourages others to be hoes. For gosh sakes, she's organized a #slutwalk, people!
- Her vulnerability is fucking inspiring. In a world where we are all so concerned with being perceived as strong and independent, Amber freely discusses feelings of shame, sadness, loneliness, and discomfort in relationships. Brave as fuck!
- She demonstrates the complexity of human relationships, and I think that's dope. I love how she portrays - with such honesty - her relationship with ex-husband Wiz Khalifa, such as discussing an ongoing sexual relationship with him on her talk show, showing them coparenting on her Snapchat story, and asking him for sperm so she can make more babies - ha! When everyone else seems to be having a black & white, we love each other or we don't, make up or break up, seeing that other peeps experience something more in the gray zone is delightfully authentic. And validating!
- I'm always a sucker for a girl who doesn't take herself too seriously. Amber embodies this, frequently making fun of herself and goofing around.
Amber has not only made a name for herself, but she has made a living, made a BRAND off of her uninhibited personality. She has turned what some might have seen as weaknesses (a filthy mouth, brashness, controversy) into the strengths that make her unique - and so gosh dang charismatic. Her next gig has basically made all of my dreams come true. Loveline, the long-running relationship advice radio program (which was also a late-night TV show on MTV - anyone remember that? I found myself staying awake for HOURS watching that when I was a wee young sprout) was transforming into a Podcast - with little miss straight-shooter Amber Rose as the host!
happiest moment ever!!!
OK, maybe second happiest. First might be the time Amber Rose responded to one of my tweets.
Total fan girl moment!!! Are you guys watching Amber's show or listening to the new Loveline podcast?